Saturday, December 15, 2012

DIY No Sew Tutu - PROVEN

Madison has a photo shoot coming up for her 1st Birthday (don't even get me started on how my tiny infant morphed into a toddler)

Although I am already nostalgic about her first year with us, I am very excited to watch her grow up and to mark the occasion I decided to make her a tutu to wear in her photo shoot!

I used 2 separate guides from Pinterest to make this "No Sew Tutu."  They were both rather confusing in their own ways so I used them both and came upon my method using a combination of the two!

Link 1
Link 2

I went to Joann Fabric and purchased a total of 2 yards of tulle (net) fabric.  I realize now I should have probably had extra for those "just in case" moments, and to be honest I didn't read how much of it I would need before I went to the store...oops!

I ended up having just enough, I would have had extras if I hadn't cut it incorrectly to begin with.

Following Link 1's directions I decided that I would measure Madison's waist (18"), add 2 inches and cut my elastic (20") and tie it together.



After that I laid the tulle out and determined I wanted each strip to be about 8" long (following the guide on Link 2) I doubled that because when you tie the knots you lose length because they are folded in half.  I didn't measure the width of the strips exactly.  I figured 2-2 1/2" would be close enough (and it really made no difference in my opinion)



I had more purple tulle than pink so I used a pattern that I thought would work best to utilize all of my cut pieces.  I would use 2 purple in one knot and a purple/pink combination on the next knot.  I continued that pattern all the way around.

One tutorial tells you to use a chair back to hold the elastic while you tie on the knots.  The skirt I am making is for a tiny person and the chair back would have really stretched out the elastic so I used her walk and play toy handle instead!  Mom's learn how to improvise!!



When it came time to actually tie the knots, I was very confused as to how either tutorial did it but I believe the photo guide on Link 2 was best.  You want to fold the pieces in half, making a loop at the top.  Use your index finger and thumb to open the loop while holding the tails in your other hand.  Put your hand with the loops under the elastic and grab the tails with the same hand that is holding the loop and pull the tails through.  I hope that makes sense.  You do want all of your knots facing the same direction so do this method for the remainder of your tutu.

Half Done!

When I first started I was concerned, to be honest.  I didn't think that the material I got would be enough, I didn't think it would look good together for some reason and I thought that the tutu would be too flat. 

I could not have been more wrong.  As you add to the skirt with more and more knots the full effect of the tutu begins to form and I am so pleased with my results I will definitely do this a lot more throughout her life!

I really hope you try this one, it would make a great gift and I only spent $7.99 total for this project, and for my first time doing this and reading the directions as I went.....it only took me about 25 minutes!!








No comments:

Post a Comment