Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tomato Cage Christmas Decoration - PROVEN

I am pretty sure most of my friends have used this little trick already, but I thought I would share my experience.

When I saw this pin on a cool homemade Christmas decoration, I just had to try it!

I was able to borrow some tomato cages from my awesome cousins Shanna and Kevin ;) 
I thought I would need an extension cord, but the outlet I was going to use doesn't have a 3-prong socket so I was able to improvise.


 
 
Make sure you CHECK YOUR LIGHTS before you go through the entire process of wrapping them around the tomato cage.  I had tested mine about 5 days prior to this and figured I was safe.   I was wrong.  I waited until it was dark out and flipped the switch inside and nothing happened.  I checked everything and all the plugs were in order, it was the lights.  Something must have happened to them in the 5 days since I had checked them last.  Bummer!
 
Because of my mishap I had to wait until I had some more free time to re-wrap the lights and was just now able to complete my project 3 days later. 
 
 

My front porch has a light and last year I purchased a Light Socket Adapter so I had a good place to plug in Christmas lights.  Since I couldn't use an extension cord with the adapter I purchased I was able to prop up my "tree" on the grill ledge!  Love to improvise!
 
I am very pleased with the results and I would greatly recommend this project for you.  Really, all you need is a tomato cage and a a string of lights.  I guess you could doll it up a little with some tinsel, a star or some other decorations but I didn't want to risk losing anything in the blizzard-like Michigan winter.
 
Happy Holidays!!!
 
 



1 comment: